Robert W. Blanchard
Co-Founder & Shareholder
(858) 551-2440 Ext. 308
Mr. Blanchard, a co-founder of Blanchard, Krasner & French, is an attorney and former financial executive with over thirty years of experience in real estate and corporate finance. His areas of practice include complex real estate acquisitions, dispositions and exchanges, corporate mergers and acquisitions, asset and mortgage securitization, business and real estate lending, tax credit financing, and the regulation of financial institutions and securities markets. Mr. Blanchard is widely published and a frequent speaker on numerous topics, including speaking on “The Evolving Worldwide Legal and Regulatory Climate for Securitization” at a meeting of the American Bar Association held in Brussels, Belgium, and contributing author of Commercial Real Estate Finance: A Current Guide to Representing Lenders and Borrowers, ABA.
Real Estate purchase, sale and exchange transactions include shopping centers in California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas; hotels in California, Texas and Ohio; and commercial/hotel land development in the Southern California region. Mergers and acquisitions include the acquisition of Valley Insurance Company by Qualitas Financial Services, Inc.; the sale of assets of Conception Technologies to Vitrolife, Inc.; the merger of Bank of Southern California and First National Bank; the acquisition of assets and intellectual property of Graviton, Inc., by Xsilogy, Inc.; the sale of stock of In House Pharmacies, Inc., to Omnicare, Inc., among many others. Securities transactions include $100 million unsecured bond issuance by Insurance Company of the West; $180 million collateralized bond issuance by Globimex, SA de CV; $20 million Secured Short Term Note Facility for Southwest Trade Services, LLC.
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Chairperson: Corporate and Business Law Section of the San Diego County Bar Association (2010).
- Delegate: Conference of Delegates of California Bar Association (2008-2010).
- Speaker: CalCPA Education Foundation 13th Annual San Diego Tax and Accounting Institute “Subchapter S Corporations” (November 18, 2009).
- Speaker: “Fundamentals of Acquisition Transactions” Lorman Education Services (October 2005, November 2005).
- Speaker: ABA BLT Teleconference – “A Boost from the IRS: Section 1031 Tax-Deferred Exchanges and Tenancy in Common,” (April 14, 2004).
- Speaker: “Mexican Housing Finance and Capital Markets Workshop,” Joint Center for Housing Studies, Harvard University, Mexico D.F., Mexico (August 1996).
- Speaker: “Prospects for Establishing Secondary Mortgage Facility in Indonesia,” Ministry of Finance, Jakarta, Indonesia (June 1994).
- Speaker: “The Evolving Worldwide Legal and Regulatory Climate for Securitization,” American Bar Association, Brussels, Belgium (April 1993).
- Contrib-Author: Commercial Real Estate Finance: A Current Guide to Representing Lenders and Borrowers, American Bar Association (1993) (legal reference book).
- Co-Author: “Cleaning the Environment in the Money Laundry,” co-authored with Gordon Greenberg of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton, American Banker (July 1992) (professional article).
- Speaker: “Beware – Dirty Money,” IBC USA Conferences, New York, NY (1992).
- Speaker: “Doing Business in Mexico,” United States-Mexico Chamber of Commerce, La Jolla, CA (1992).
- Speaker: “Developments In Securitization,” American Bar Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA (1991).
- Speaker: “Regulation of Financial Institutions,” University of Southern California, Graduate School of Business, Los Angeles, CA (1991).
- Author: “Introduction to Asset Securitization,” American Bar Association (1991) (course materials).
- Author: “Money Laundering and the Transactional Lawyer,” Probate & Property Magazine (March/April 1991) (professional article).
- Author: “FIRREA — Putting Bankers On Ice,” California Bankers Associations (1990) (professional article).
- Speaker: “Money Laundering Minefield,” California Bankers Association, San Francisco, CA (1990).
Prior to founding Blanchard, Krasner & French, Mr. Blanchard was partner in the Los Angeles law firm of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton and prior to that, a partner in the law firm of Seltzer, Kaplan, Wilkins and McMahon, now known as Seltzer, Caplan, McMahon and Vitek, based in San Diego. From 1986 to 1989, Mr. Blanchard was Senior Vice President and Assistant General Counsel of Imperial Corporation of America, a NYSE listed financial services holding company with assets in excess of $10 billion. Mr. Blanchard managed the company’s corporate equity investment portfolio, which included private equity investments totaling approximately $80 million, and was responsible for regulatory and securities compliance. Mr. Blanchard obtained his Juris Doctorate Degree in 1980 from the University of San Diego School of Law, Magna Cum Laude, and his undergraduate degree in Business Administration Economics from the University of Denver in 1975.