David C. Hawkes
(858) 551-2440 Ext. 305
Mr. Hawkes focuses his practice in the areas of employment, business planning and litigation, tax planning and litigation, intellectual property, real estate and estate planning. Mr. Hawkes joined the firm in 2006. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hawkes worked for a prominent local securities litigation law firm and was a partner in his own law firm where he was managing partner of the transactional practice group and co-managing partner of the litigation practice group. He has also worked for one of the most prominent intellectual property law firms in the country where he worked on trademark registration and litigation matters for many of the best-known casino/resorts on the Las Vegas Strip. Mr. Hawkes is also a Certified Public Accountant and a Licensed California Real Estate Broker.
Mr. Hawkes received his undergraduate degree in Business Administration (emphasis in Accounting) from San Diego State University. Mr. Hawkes received his J.D. from the University of San Diego School of Law where he graduated in the top 18% of his class. He is licensed to practice before the United States District Court – Southern District of California.
- Represented employers and employees in numerous wage and hour class actions
- Represented employers and employees in employment litigation matters involving wage and hour, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other causes of action
- Advised large employers regarding structuring employment policies and procedures to comply with California law
- Represented large business on consumer class action alleging improper business practices
- Successful representation of taxpayer to obtain refund/abatement of $500,000+ from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Successful representation of taxpayer to obtain refund/abatement of taxes, penalties and interest from the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB)
- Successful representation of business taxpayer to obtain refund/abatement of taxes, penalties and interest from the California Employment Development Department (EDD)
- Successful representation of taxpayer to obtain refund/abatement of taxes, penalties and interest from city/county authorities.
- Successful representation of trustee of multi-million dollar family trust in San Diego Probate Court
- Successful representation of large local real estate broker against California Department of Real Estate
- Successfully defended local biotechnology company in trademark cancellation proceeding before the United States Patent and Trademark Office