Thomas L. Gotfredson
858-551-2440 Ext. 331
Mr. Gotfredson has over 35 years’ experience as a corporate, real estate and estate planning attorney. A graduate of Northwestern University (B.A.) and University of Denver (J.D.), where he was a Law Review Editor, Mr. Gotfredson is licensed to practice law in California, and is also a California licensed real estate broker. He has published articles and spoken to bar associations about various forms of real property ownership and business and real estate finance. Mr. Gotfredson is a member of the North County Estate Planning Council, the La Jolla Executive Roundtable, the La Jolla Bar Association, the La Jolla Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section, and the Northwestern University and University of Denver Law School Alumni Associations.
Representative Recent Transactions:
- Designed and implemented intergenerational transfer of ownership with discounted valuation for family owners of prominent local winery. Also prepared shareholder agreement governing rights of the family members, and general partnership agreement to own life insurance policies to fund buy-sell provision contained in the shareholder agreement.
- Negotiated and drafted agreements and provided litigation support for a variety of Intellectual Property clientele in scientific and manufacturing industries.
- Assisted with business formation, purchase, and sale for a variety of businesses, including physicians, audiologists, dentists, contractors, educational consultants, placement firms, film directors, television personalities and entertainers, franchisees, retailers, and off shore entities, providing strategic structural, operational and tax advice to optimize outcome for clients.
- Prepared Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (“ILIT”) in conjunction with a typical A-B Trust to minimize estate tax exposure for married couple with significant financial assets.
- Negotiated over two dozen long term retail leases with a combined value over $40 million with shopping center and mall owners throughout the United States on behalf of expanding national retailer.